Thursday, December 31, 2009

Adventures during Fall 2009


The journey from Bombay to New York was one of the longest one I ever took…it was the same time as the last time I took the flight from NY to Bombay but this time, it was really different simply because I had not spent more than 12 hours without talking to Saurabh. It’s strange but it’s true too. I was looking forward to getting to JFK airport, turning my cell-phone and giving him a call. But the journey wasn’t so bad after all—I slept and watched movies that I have seen before. It took me an hour to get to the Bus Station, another hour’s wait for the bus and then five hours to Amherst. Finally, I was home---tired and sleepy.

It was Labor Day weekend and my roomies were out on a holiday. It felt strange to be back and somehow it felt that I had not left at all. But, I know that I had and life had changed since the last time I was in that apartment. Strange, isn’t it? I was all ready for the semester but before that, I wanted to take a back seat and relax. I met Anna and the girls for a swim and some nice BBQ at her place. Now, I was ready for the semester. Bring it on!

It was fun to get back to school, old and new faces, same campus…honestly, I loved it! Classes began and I got into a nice routine---routine that altered between school, assignments, having fun and skyping with Saurabh. Well, honestly, that had become an important part of my life and I looked forward to it every single day.

Soon, it was time for Fall colours and I was so excited to take a long walk, clicking the awesome scenery.

And, then, it was birthday time! I was missing Saurabh and I wanted to spend my birthday with him. But, that was not really possible since he was in India. He wished me for midnight in India and I was not sure is he will get up early enough to wish me at midnight for US. But, he did. He got up and came online at 11:30pm. At midnight, Ajanta, Supratim, Rashmi and others came to wish me with cake. Ajanta gave me a platter from Saurabh and I was wondering how that was possible. Looks like, Saurabh got in touch with Ajanta and Supratim on Facebook and asked them to get me a cake from him. I was so happy that he was on skype when I cut the cake, and it got smashed on my face too (wink wink w

ink)…The day was awesome too---brunch with Ajanta and Supratim; and then, Ben Fold’s show with Megan and Tricia. I was a little sad that Anna was in hospital and couldn’t be there but I prayed that she feels alright and we all missed her so much!! (We love you Anna!!)


Midnight surprise...

Diwali was next and I spent it with my cousins in Boston. It was Vansh’s first Diwali and we were excited too. We started preparing for Diwali Night and it turned out to be a great success too. Excitement was also building for my wedding---the date was finally finalized and I was so excited. What was more exciting that one of my best friends Kriti got engaged to Mark. I think I was more excited about their engagement than I was for mine.

Thanksgiving was round the corner and I was planning to go to NY with my cousins but a weekend before that, I realized how much work I have for the finals and I decided not to. That turned out to be awesome. I got some work done, not a lot, but I also spent some relaxing time at Anna’s place with her family and Irene. From then on, it was a crazy time---the last two weeks were crazy and I am glad that I finally got through that.

My roomie Shruti was goign back to India to get married and we wanted to give her a bridal Shower before she leaves. It was going to be a surprise for her and I was scared that she will find out. But, luckily , she didnt realize anything till she came to the apartment door and saw the decorated door...it was superb girls night and we laughed, played games, ate a lot of food and shared a lot of fun stuff!!

Somewhere in between, when Anna was well again, we sat down and decided to take a break and go for a nice vacation (I am on my vacation right now!!). After a lot of deliberation, we decided on a road trip from Amherst/NY to Raleigh (in North Carolina), then Orlando (in Florida), take a cruise to the Bahamas and then drive back via Washington DC for the networking event organized by the department. Later in the semester, Anna was not too sure about the road trip so we decided to fly. Gosh! That was such a relief as it came out to be more relaxing.

I spent Christmas Eve with Anna’s family as they follow Polish tradition of Christmas Eve Feast and then midnight mass. It was awesome---we made some cookies and the mass was beautiful too. The next morning, we opening our stockings and it was so much fun!! I have never done the stockings before and it was so thrilling to just see whats inside it. There was more to come….gifts!!! Opening the gifts was so much fun and Anna got me SO MANY gifts!! Scarf, gloves, socks, snuggler, books, cap….her parents got me book and Nick got me an awesome candle. I was super thrilled…and, the Christmas spirit continued when we went to NY to celebrate the Devey family Christmas party.

With all my lovely gifts...

But, before that, I had to pack, clean the apartment and get it ready for the pest control. It was a lot of work but it worked out eventually. And, now I am looking forward to the cruise and spending some awesome time with the girls…

No comments: