Monday, January 12, 2009

Of snow and many more things....

So, I am back again....before I say anything, you must understand that I am absolutely NOT into all this blogging thing, and it kind of gets difficult for me to keep up...maybe if I wrote diaries as a kid, it would have been easier...but...maybe another lifetime!!

Snow....snow....everywhere....!!! Yes! This is my first ever winter in New England and its been good so far....love the snow...first time it snowed, I got so excited that I went down at 2am in the morning without my gloves to play in snow...



NOTICE....NO GLOVES!!!

definitely learnt a lesson!! From then on, it has been a "snowy" saga....walking through slush is pathetic...but virgin snow is just amazing...it is just so beautiful..for all those who come from a snowy country, dont think I am talking like a kid---I come from a tropical country and the thought of seeing snowfall live is just so romantic---all I wish sometimes that my apartment had a fireplace and I would sit next to it, with a book and coffee and spend a quiet evening...someday...someday!!


My first visit to New York and it could not have been timed more perfectly...we finish out final deadline for the last finals at 9am in the morning and head off for NY at 2pm in the afternoon---4 girls and minds that need to be stress-busted!! Even though we reached NY at 7pm in the night, we headed off for a walk down Park Avenue straight after dinner and opening a Champange bottle that Tricia got to celebrate the end of semester!! 11pm and we find ourselves at Rockerfellar Museum...midnight and we were at Times Square...How come we were walking there? well...we stayed right between 1st and 2nd ave...on 49th street...amazing location--isnt it?



GRAND CENTRAL STATION...

NY never sleeps but we had to...after a long long walk, and watching musical show outside SAKS FIFTH AVENUE, chilling out @ Times Square, Park Avenue...we got back..determined to do more and more the next day...

Day two was dedicated to explore the fashion street---FIFTH AVENUE...all the best brands...definitely couldnt shop there but it was just fantastic just looking through the windows and exploring the latest in fashion! I noticed something very particluar while walking around that area--since it is a very affluent location, and office area too...people who lived there were dressed so sophisticately...all in Black (it felt like they were all mourning..!!)...high heels in snow
FIFTH AVE...
(I was shivering wiht my snow boots---god knows how they wore the high high heels...)...open hair (I refused to walk around without my ear-muffs)...and oh-so-sophisticated!! Next in line was a trip to Wall Street--which I just HAD to...so, Anna gave me the encouragement to go alone in the subway (first time in NY and I was travelling alone...not a big deal but my parents would have definitely freaked out...!!)...seeing the famous Bull was nice...and I managed to catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty from the Straten Island ferry as well...the trip was an adventure in itself and then, thanks to cell phones, met up with my friends again for a fun-filled evening...


(L-R) Anna, Elena, Tricia and me

I had the most amazing tacos on 8th ave and headed for a Comedy Show...now my friend Elena was friends with this guy who was working in a Comedy Club...so, we went...and guess what? no one else part from 6 of us turned out.. (how 6? well..4 of us...plus, Anna's cousin Eric and friend Erin)...so, it was like a comedy show for us in our living room..and we started to pull the leg of

(L-R) Tricia, Anna, Erin and me

the comedians...some took it fine...others just gave up...how do you handle 6 energetic people, high on life...(Anna, I mean my high and not your high!!) and the saga continued....we headed for a night of pub-hopping...from one to another...finally had to leave the last pub at 4am..thats when all the pubs in the city close... :((

Day three was going to be a lazy one but thanks to a Snow-storm prediction, which turned out true and it was snowing like MADDDD, we left really really early form NY....the usual 2.5 hours drive took us about 7 hours...imagine the snowfall....the road condition and our situation...I was just hoping that we reach Amherst in one piece...but thanks to the amazing driver that Tricia is, no accidents...no mishaps...!! You are awesome, Tricia....!!

MOI NEW ROOM....side one...
Excitement didnt end there...I shifted into a new apartment (bye bye Dorms..!!) the next day--was I crazy to do that--well, kind of!! This was a completely different experience....in my 5 years of education outside my home in India, I had never stayed in an apartment with friends...so, this was fun...setting my new room was fun too...plus, i was thrilled to have a room all to myself...yes! I had been sharing rooms till now...and then, before I could unpack completely, I headed for a lazy holiday in Boston with my cousins...


MOI NEW ROOM....side two...
Although, within day 2 in Boston, I was bored with the laziness of being home all the time---the NY side-effect you could say---so, called up a friend's friend and made plans...NEVER in my life I have ever watched two movies back to back in a theatre...but then, we didnt have a choice---XMas day in Boston and everything was closed...!! Went ice-skating in Boston...saw the ice-sculptures...that was so rocking and I hate myself for forgetting to carry the camera that day!!Next year, DEFINITELY!!!

Heading back to Amherst was something I didnt want to---for starters, my cousin's wife had a baby boy while I was there...and she was still in Hospital when I came back---wanted to be there with my Aunt to help her...and then, I knew I had to be alone in the apartment here---my flatmates have gone to India for the holiday...so, why did I head back here? Well..I started an internship at an organisation called Verite, here in Amherst...it is an international organisation that deals with forced labour issues around the world--with offices in different countries and this being their Head Office...so, when I was offered an internship, I just didnt want to miss the chance...They just started a research project and I am thrilled about being a part of it...its about forced labour conditions in 11 countries, and of course, India is included!! So, here I am...a ghost in Amherst...with all my friends gone for the holiday, working so that I get some practical experience...at the end of the day, it isnt that bad...I am spending some quality time with myself...catching up on watching movies...writing my blog after a long long time (ahem!)...sleeping a LOT...and the list continues...!!
So, where do we go from here? Classes being in about 2 weeks and its going to a mad race after that...but before I leave this time, I want to make a New Year's Resolution...that I will update my blogs more often...for sure...!!
Till then...
CHEERS!!!!














2 comments:

Anna said...

What a life you live Puja!

Great Blog!!

Puja said...

Thanks Anna!